For the last two Mondays, I have really striven to give you some motivation and get you pumped up for the week ahead. I have been posting theme songs for you to play while you read, and this has been extremely popular and well-received. I have loved doing this myself, and I the theme songs have stuck with me through the week. So, I think I am going to stick with this new trend I started. I have a week of training that I am excited about; it is training about poverty and brain research that I think is going to give a new edge to my teaching next year, and this song sums up how I feel about it. Play the song before you read on. It is an awesome song and a pretty funny video (you may want to watch it after you read, if you have never seen it before). Also, it is the theme song for the movie, Here Comes the Boom, which is a movie that centers on a teacher that is committed to the needs of students (namely the Arts Program).
(Disclaimer–if you have never heard this song before, there is a lyric you may think is saying something that it is not…the line is “big S.D.” for San Diego…not what it sounds like the first time you hear it.)
Teacher, you are awesome. This week is yours to own. Don’t let this week happen to you, happen to this week! Make a plan and stick to it. Follow through. Set a goal to accomplish something big, work at it, and accomplish that goal. You can do it! Tell this week that the BOOM is coming and you are the one bringing it!
No matter what you have ahead of you, you’ve got this. You are amazing. You can get through anything. You can do anything. You can achieve anything. You can do anything and get through everything, if you set your mind to it. Set your mind to it and do it!
For those of you teaching right now:
- Get your plans together…make them happen.
- When things get off plan, monitor and adjust like a champ. You can make anything work. Roll with the punches that come, and punch back with your skills, experience, and abilities.
- Know where you want your students to be at the end of the week and get them there. Use what ever you need to use to get them there. You are awesome and know what to do. Do it.
- DO NOT let the little things get to you. Stay calm, stay patient, and stay in charge. You are a professional and you know what you are doing. Rely on the fact the that little things do not mean much in the big picture. Work around them and do not let them get you frustrated.
- Love your students above all else. Knowing and caring for your students is the most important thing you do. Encourage them and tell them how much you care. Tell them how awesome they are and why they are awesome.
For those of you on summer break:
- Don’t let the summer get away from you. Make a plan to accomplish something this week and then accomplish it. It can be for school or otherwise, but do something this week. Get something done.
- Read one thing to help you do even better next year than the last. Find a good article on teaching/education (Edutopia is a great source, my current favorite). Read a book. Find something. Hone your craft this week, Teacher!
- Come up with one new goal for next year. Find a new place you want your students next year or a new strategy to try. I gave a similar challenge yesterday. It is so important to set new expectations for yourself to rise to higher heights and become an even better teacher!
- Plan a lesson or unit for next year. Don’t put it off. Plan to do something for next year this week. The more you do now, the better off you will be next year!
- Make a plan for getting to know your students and other teachers next year and plan ways to spread encouragement and hope. I know a good place that you can find notes to print and write on! 🙂 Know how you will get to know people and spread the Encouragement Revolution next year!
You are so incredibly awesome! This week is yours for the taking. Take it! Make it yours! Keep on teaching, Teacher!
PS…While I am at a training this week, I need your help. Please share this link in your Edmodo communities and groups, share on Facebook, share on Twitter, and where ever else you can! Spread the encouragement because I can’t! Thanks! You are awesome! 🙂
3 thoughts on “Monday Morning Motivation: Here Comes the BOOM!”