Well, my hiatus was cut a little short because of a short summer school teaching opportunity that has come up. Because I am ending my teaching sabbatical early, I have decided to go ahead and come back to the blog, too. It is good to be back. I hope that you did not miss me too much.
I hope you have enjoyed reading the posts of my Substitute Teachers. I thought each post was insightful, challenging, and full of hope. I hope that you feel the same!
Today’s message is about endings. Endings are what I am thinking about as my little vacation comes to a close. Endings are inevitable. They will come no matter what…and it can be a challenge or a hope to keep that in mind.
When things are going well, an ending does not seem like a good thing. The end of a break. The end of a vacation. Or just the end of a great year with your students. Good things do not last forever and it is sad to see them go. These kind of endings do not have to be bad, though. There is a ways to view them as a positive, and this is where the challenge comes in.
- Keep the end in mind to help you savor every wonderful moment…take it in and enjoy every fleeting second.
- Memories of good times that have ended give you something to hang on to when things get rough…build those memories well when things are good!
- Good times have to end sometime…remember this…we grow more and learn more during difficulties. What kind of teacher would you be if things only went well?
The flip-side of endings are the endings of not-so-good times. When things are not quite as awesome, and the “going get rough,” endings are the light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing that there is an ending gives you the opportunity and ability to have some hope. The following are a few thoughts for you if you are going through one of those phases right now.
- Nothing lasts forever, especially the hard times, so don’t give up!
- You are growing and becoming a better teacher right now, don’t lose sight of that.
- I know it is Kelly Clarkson cliché, but what doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger…when you come out on the other side you will be stronger and better for it.
- The light at the end of that tunnel is getting larger every day. Hold on to hope. You will make it through!
What is your impending ending right now?
Are you in a good time that will soon be over? Savor it. Take it all in. Enjoy it and make memories. You will need those memories eventually!
Are you in a down time right now? Does everything seem to be going up in flames around you? The end is near! It will not last forever! Find those “good times” memories, hang on to them, and hold on tight for the arrival of that light at the end of the tunnel!
Teacher, you are amazing. You are awesome! You are believed in and you are getting stronger every day! You are changing lives and making a difference!
Keep on teaching, Teacher!