Last night, someone shared the Positive Teacher Pledge on an Edmodo. This really spoke to me. I know that I need to strive to be more positive in my classroom. There are times that we all get lured to the dark side of negativity, if we are honest with ourselves. Though, I have seldom thought about the choice between being positive and being negative. It is a choice, however!
Every day, every hour, every second, we make a choice between giving into the stress that weighs us down on teachers and acting out of stress or in the opposite direction of the stress. Often times, at least for me, I let the stress make the choice and it is usually in the negative direction. I need (we need) capture every second of the day with our students! We don’t have many seconds with them, in the span of their lives, so we need to make each one count! We can’t afford to have many “bad seconds” with our students. We are setting them up for the rest of their lives! We have to take that seriously.
Today, will you…
- Let your exhaustion show or be upbeat (or at least pretend to be energetic)?
- Let that crummy email or phone call show or save your frustration for later and say something nice to a student who needs it?
- Complain about a coworker or do something to encourage him or her?
- Gripe about administration or ask them if there is anything you can do to help them today?
- Get irritated with a student who is driving you insane or pull him or her aside, say something positive, and give a reason to do better today?
The list could go on forever, but I think you get it. Lets try to make positive choices today! We are worn out, beat up, and empty…but we have to keep moving. You can do it, Teacher! You can be positive today! You are awesome! I believe in you so much!
Keep on teaching, Teacher!
For more hope and encouragement: @DearTeacherLT
5 thoughts on “The Choice”
There is not much to add!!!!. You´ve said it ALL!. Thank you and best greetings
You are welcome and thank you!